Say “Bye-Bye” to all halogen illuminants?
No, not really. Only non-directional high-voltage halogen lamps will be affected by this. The production and import of high-voltage halogen lamps will cease:
- On one hand those with the classic E14 and E27 screw bases (non-directional light).
- Directional high-voltage halogen lamps have been banned since 1st September 2016 – the section above applies to all halogen lamps with GU-10 bases.
Exceptions to the above rule in the high-voltage range are halogen lamps with R7 S base or G9 pin base. These may continue to be produced and marked with an energy class C or D.
These have to– among other criteria – comply with energy efficiency of a class “B” at least.Examples of such low-voltage halogen lamps are the well-known lamps with the G4 pin base. Since September 1st 2016, directional low-voltage halogen lamps have had to met the stricter EU criteria – now they too have to reach the “B” energy efficiency class by this date.
Halogen lamps for special applications – such as ovens lighting are exception to this rule.
LED is the answer!
If you are uncertain and do not know whether you need new illuminants for your lamp, don’t even break a sweat! This regulation only regulates the distribution of light sources, not their use.
Meaning: If an old halogen lamp needs fixing, you don’t not get an energy guzzler but an energy saver as a replacement. Sounds like a fair deal, doesn’t it?
Pay attention to these when in need for lighting:
- Look for the product name. Old halogen remnants are still being sold.
- If the temperature of emitted light is important for your mood, we recommend to take a closer look on the package when buying new fixture, since the color of the light is directly indicated on the box.
- You are using a dimmer switch? Make sure that the lamp of your choice is marked as dimmable. Careful: Not every LED works with every dimmer – make sure it is compatible.
There you go! So nothing else stands in your way to…
Say “Bye-Bye” to all halogen illuminants!
Now that we’ve got into your head, go get yourself a new lighting!